Marf's Thanksgiving Recipes (in addition to the turkey)
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 (12-oz) bag fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter. For best results, refrigerate until chilled before eating.
Finely grate 2 teaspoons zest from orange. Cut away and discard peel and pith from orange, then cut sections free from membranes.
Pulse cranberries with zest, orange sections, sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor until finely chopped. Chill, covered, at least 2 hours to allow flavors to develop.
Green Bean Casserole
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces, then steamed for 10 minutes.
10 ounces mushrooms, chopped, 3 cloves garlic, minced, sauteed in broth
generous pinch cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Fresh pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons dry sherry
3/4 cup soy milk
Enough seasoned breadcrumbs to lightly cover the top
Assemble in a 9" x 13" pan and then Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
Chop and boil 10 redskin potatoes (rinse well, but keep the skin on).
Mash the potatoes, adding rice milk (do not use soy milk!) until you get the desired consistency.
Season with salt, pepper. (I also add a half teaspoon of dillweed.)
- 1 package mushrooms
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 1/4 cup soymilk
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp each of sage, thyme and rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
Pulse the mushrooms and onion together in a food processor.
Boil the simmer all the other ingredients stirring with a whisk, then stir in the mushroom-onion mixture.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Peel and chop 8-10 sweet potatoes and boil until soft.
1/4 cup soy creamer or soymilk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Topping: ½ cup pecans, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp flour
Bake 45 minutes at 350 F.
Apple Sausage Stuffing
1 package fresh, crumbled multigrain bread
About 8 oz sausage or fake sausage
2 green apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
½ cup walnuts
2 stalks of celery, finely sliced
3 cups veggie stock
1 onion, chopped
salt, pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano
1.) Add all dry ingredients to the crumbled bread.
2.) Saute the onion and sausage in some of the broth
3.) add the rest of the ingredients to the crumbled bread.
4. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.
Impossible Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 28 oz. can of pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. A deep dish is recommended because this pie will rise a lot during cooking but will fall back down as it cools.
- Put the first five ingredients in the blender, and blend well. Add the pumpkin, and puree. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is thoroughly blended. Pour into a pie pan and bake for about 60 minutes. The top and edges should be brown, but the edges should not be over-done. (Since this is a custardy pie, using the standard toothpick or knife test does not work; it will remain somewhat moist in the center, but it shouldn’t be uncooked.)