Monday, September 29, 2014

Chili with Black-eyed Peas and Quinoa

My favorite food blog is by far that of Susan Voisin at Fat Free Vegan. I used to regularly make recipes from her blog even before I was doomed to having to eat this way for health reasons. Tonight I was planning to make her Black-eyed Pea Chili with Quinoa. But I didn't have all the ingredients, and I don't like following recipes to the letter anyway. So here's my modified version. (I'm sure hers is better, but if you need an excuse to use a jar of Sofrito tomato cooking base, here you go.) 

First saute:


  • 1 big yellow onion
  • 1 red Bell pepper
  • 1 green Bell pepper 


Next, cook 3/4 cups of dry quinoa (I do this in a rice cooker. Ratio of quinoa to water is 1:2, simmer for 20 minutes. 


Put all that in a crock pot with: 



  • 12 oz jar of Goya Sofrito tomato cooking base
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cans black eyed peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn (I used the roasted corn from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon jarred, minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder 
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • Half a teaspoon liquid smoke.


Cook in the crock pot on low for 6 hours. 


I suggest adding some hot sauce. I only left it out for the kids, and then added it individually to my bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment