Thursday, September 25, 2014

No Fat Cabbage and Noodles

I can no longer eat fatty foods due to health issues, and this includes the bacon and Parmesan cheese I used to add to my cabbage and noodles. Messing around in my kitchen, I came up with this alternative, which I found largely satisfying. 

Ingredients: 

  • Large onion, chopped 
  • 1 tablespoon jarred, minced garlic 
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • Medium head of cabbage, sliced (as you can see from the picture, I happened to have a purple cabbage. But you can use green ones too if you want.) 
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke 
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast 
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • 16 oz bag egg noodles (I used yolk free, but if you're not eating eggs, just get whatever broad noodles you like.) 

1.) Sautéed onion and garlic in the soy sauce for 10 minutes. 

2.)  Add cabbage and all of the other ingredients except the nutritional yeast and noodles, simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 


3.) In the last 10 minutes, boil the noodles then rinse (don't let them get mushy!) 


4.) Stir in the nutritional yeast with the cabbage, then gently stir in the noddles. 





No comments:

Post a Comment